Thursday, June 2, 2016

Only 3 Left!

I cannot believe that this part of my journey is coming to an end.  There is an anxiety that is not often spoken of during this portion of treatment.  When I was first diagnosed I had a plethora of doctors surrounding me at all times.  It was hectic and stressful, but oddly comforting that I was embraced with such immense care.  As I have progressed through treatment many of my doctors have "dropped off." They are still there if I need them, but I don't have to check in regularly.  It is both a relief and a source of anxiety.  After July I will check in with my surgical oncologist once a year, and my oncologist every three months for the next five years.  I am aware that that sounds like a lot, but in comparison it seems like nothing.

This is one of the headbands made for me by Buy a Thread.  I cannot say enough how much I love them, and how beautiful they make me feel.  You should totally go look at their website, you might even see a super cute model.  Buy a Thread


Many of you have been asking about scans, unfortunately the new standard of care is to only have scans if you are symptomatic.  I will have "tumor markers" drawn every three months to see if there is indication that cancer is growing somewhere in my body, but no MRIs, CAT scans, or anything else.  I have to be honest, this terrifies me.  I would be totally okay with having scans done every other week.  However, that is no longer the "standard of care," and I am told that it probably wouldn't be safe to expose myself to that much radiation.

I did receive some pretty amazing news this week.  I get to have my port taken out after my last treatment.  This is awesome!  It has been in for almost a year, and is uncomfortable - useful, but uncomfortable.  I am so glad that my surgeon feels confident enough in my treatment plan to allow me to have it taken out, many cancer patients are asked to keep the port in for a year or sometimes two following treatment.  I am blessed.

The kids are doing great.  They are so sad to be leaving their teachers, but excited about the adventure of summer.  I am pretty sad about school ending too, this year we have been graced with teachers who are total rock stars.  I will be forever grateful to them for helping me pull my sweet babies through this year as gracefully as we have been able to.  

Recently, Tommy reacted to this shirt I was wearing.


This totally amazing shirt was made for me by Lexi.  I am so thankful for her friendship and support, and for her momma, my chemo buddy.

He said, "Fighting Cancer wasn't even that hard mommy."  For a second I was taken aback, then I realized that I had done exactly what I set out to do last August.  I kept the pain, and fear hidden from them.  I fought like a mommy.

I want to thank you all again for loving me through it. I have learned so much about myself, I have made friends in the most unexpected places, I have learned how important it is to live each and every moment.

Please continue to spread the word of early detection, and the importance of self exams.  Had I not been aware of my body, the subtle pain and tiny skittle sized bump I would not have found my tumor. If I had waited for my first mammogram to make myself aware of the risks of breast cancer I would likely be dead.

With the help of my brilliant friend, Beth, I was able to find the perfect dress for my last chemotherapy treatment.  My aunt Jan is making me a fancy cape to go with it.  I am going to look like a real live princess.  I am so excited.

My dear friend Lauren threw me a surprise 31 party.  It was a huge success and I was so honored.  I have the best friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment