Monday, August 24, 2015

Happy 99th Birthday Grandpa!

Yesterday, my truly inspirational Grandpa celebrated his 99th birthday!  Can you imagine?  99 years, all the memories- the history.  He is a legend.




I remember the first time I realized that doors would open for me (both literally and figuratively) if I introduced myself as, "Rebecca, Frank Forney's granddaughter."  His life is an amazing testament. Just look at that smile, he has never ever met a stranger.

The kids and I went to visit him last week, I knew that after my chemotherapy treatment I would not be able to visit him for awhile.

This is a week of firsts for us, we are learning the "new normal."

The trick to chemotherapy is that it attacks the cancer cells - but also attacks my good cells, causing my immune system to take a dive. During this time I have to be vigilant about avoiding crowds, and germs to keep myself healthy.  This means for the next four months or so no impromptu visits to see Grandpa, no museums, no church, no birthday parties, no back to school nights, no fair, no Field Days of the Past, and only super cautious play dates. I have to be honest - this part of the treatment will be the very hardest for me.  It makes my mommy heart hurt to think of missing out on on the "little" things that make childhood magical.

This is all temporary - just a few months, and we will find new ways to make magic.  I have no doubt about that.


I want to thank you again for your incredible outpouring of kindness.  There are truly not words to tell you how much all of your support means to me.  I am so lucky in so many ways.  I have the best support system a girl could ask for.




Please remember to spread the word of early detection, share my blog - share my families story. 

Knowledge is power.  





1 comment:

  1. Wow! It must be a grand celebration. It is my grandpa’s 90th birthday this year and he also got married on the same day. We are planning to book one of the finest venues in NYC for the big celebration. These people play a very special role in our lives and it was good reading this post.

    ReplyDelete